School Closing Information
Parents should make arrangements now for the care of their children when schedule changes are made (and to provide for the rare situation when it is necessary to close a school because of a power failure or other circumstances). Children should know where to go if a parent will not be home.
School Closing Info Line: 245-2401
Decisions on schedule changes are made after careful study of the best information available from weather services and Charlottesville Public Works. Safety is our first concern.
When the decision is made that schools will be closed all day or will open late, the announcement will be made by 5:30 a.m. whenever possible. When schools close early because weather is getting worse, the announcement will be made by 10:30 a.m. whenever possible.
Closings and schedule changes are announced as follows. Please do not phone the school or media stations.
- CCS website: www.charlottesvilleschools.org or www.ccs.k12.va.us
- CCS social media: www.facebook.com/CvilleSchools and www.twitter.com/CvilleSchools
- Via phone, email, and text to families (and designated caregivers) who enroll via PowerSchool/School Messenger (see information and instructions)
- CCS School Closing Information Line: 245-2401
- Through TV and radio stations, as well as their web sites.
When schools are closed for the day:
- CLASS and EDGE programs are canceled.
- Extracurricular activities, interscholastic contests, team practices, field trips, and recreation programs in schools and on school grounds are canceled unless otherwise indicated.
- Adult classes, GED, or ESL classes will be canceled for the morning; for information about evening classes, please call 245-2817.
- For parents or caregivers who have elected to receive notices, they will receive a call, email, and/or text, according to the preferences selected in PowerSchool/School Messenger. (See information and instructions.)
When schools are opened late:
- EDGE will NOT operate the before-school program when schools open late.
- Adult, GED and ESL classes will open on a delayed schedule.
- Offices will open on a delayed schedule.
- Morning field trips are canceled.
When schools are closed early due to worsening weather:
- Students will be fed lunch before being put on buses, if possible.
- CLASS and EDGE will NOT operate the after-school program when school is dismissed earlier than regular dismissal time.
- Extracurricular activities, interscholastic contests, team practices, field trips, adult classes, GED or ESL classes, and recreation programs in schools and on school grounds are canceled unless otherwise indicated.
- Parents or caregivers will be notified via telephone, email, and/or text, according to the preferences you set up in PowerSchool/School Messenger. (See information and instructions.)