School Closing Information
Parents should make arrangements now for the care of their children when schedule changes are made (and to provide for the rare situation when it is necessary to close a school because of a power failure or other circumstances). Children should know where to go if a parent will not be home.
School Closing Info Line: 245-2401
Decisions on schedule changes are made after careful study of the best information available from weather services, VDOT, the police, and staff members who are out checking the roads. Decisions are made to ensure the safety of students who ride buses or walk to school each day.
When the decision is made that schools will be closed all day or will open late, the announcement will be made by 5:30 a.m. whenever possible. When schools close early because weather is getting worse, the announcement will be made by 10:30 a.m. whenever possible.
Closings and schedule changes are announced as follows. Please do not phone the school or media stations for this information.
- CCS School Closing Information Line: 245-2401
- CCS website: www.charlottesvilleschools.org OR www.ccs.k12.va.us
- WVIR — Channel 29 (NBC) and website: www.NBC29.com
- WCAV/WVAW/WAHU — Channels 19, 16, & 27 and website: www.charlottesvillenewsplex.tv
- WINA radio: AM 1070 and website: www.wina.com
- WWWV radio: FM 97.5 and website: www.3wv.com
When schools are closed for the day:
- CLASS programs are canceled.
- Extracurricular activities, interscholastic contests, team practices, field trips, and recreation programs in schools and on school grounds are canceled unless otherwise indicated.
- Adult classes, GED, or ESL classes will be canceled for the morning; for information about evening classes, please call 245-2817.
When schools are opened late:
- CLASS will NOT operate the before-school program when schools open late.
- Adult, GED and ESL classes will open on a delayed schedule.
- Offices will open on a delayed schedule.
- Morning field trips are canceled.
When schools are closed early due to worsening weather:
- Students will be fed lunch before being put on buses, if possible.
- CLASS will NOT operate the after-school program when school is dismissed earlier than regular dismissal time.
- Extracurricular activities, interscholastic contests, team practices, field trips, adult classes, GED or ESL classes, and recreation programs in schools and on school grounds are canceled unless otherwise indicated.
- Parents or caregivers will be notified via telephone, email, and/or text. To sign up for text messaging, please log in to https://www.alertnowsms.com. The PIN for CCS is 104999.
Notification of Early Closings
All early closing notifications to parents and caregivers are sent through the AlertNow message broadcast system via telephone, email, and/or text. NEW IN 2013: To sign up for text message alerts, log in to https://www.alertnowsms.com. The PIN for CCS is 104999.