935-A Second St. SE
Charlottesville, VA 22902
Adult Learning Center
Program Coordinator: Susan Erno
For class and registration information:
visit www.adultslearn.org, or call 434-245-2817
The Charlottesville City Schools Adult Education program provides area adults with the educational opportunities needed to be successful workers, parents and community members. We believe that all adults are capable of learning and deserve a chance to further their education. We offer quality services at affordable cost to a diverse adult population.
We offer classes in Adult Basic Education, English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESL — five levels), GED Preparation, and Family Literacy to improve the ability of adults to meet their goals as parents, workers and community members. We also work with businesses to provide custom-designed classes for employees.
The mission of the Charlottesville Adult Education Program is to:
- provide educational services that will lead to a GED for adults who currently are without a high school diploma;
- provide instructional services to adults to prepare them for the changing work force and assist them in helping their children to succeed in school;
- provide English language instruction to non-native English speakers in the Charlottesville, Virginia area, with special emphasis on those in greatest need;
- assist English language students in developing their abilities;
- empower students in their own learning by giving them learning tools and strategies to use in developing their skills on their own.
To improve the skills of adults thereby enabling them to:
- attain a GED or other credential;
- enroll in a college or training program;
- obtain or keep a current job;
- become their children's teachers; and
- function effectively within American society.
Who We Serve
The Adult Education Program serves adults, aged 18 and older, who wish to improve their basic academic skills such as reading, writing and math, to prepare for the GED test, and/or to improve their English.