Elementary Spanish Program
Charlottesville City Schools launched an elementary Spanish program in Fall 2008. It is a sequential FLES (Foreign Language in the Elementary Schools) model that is tailor-made for the division. All students in first through fifth grade receive two 30-minute classes of instruction per week with an elementary Spanish teacher.Sixth grade students take either Spanish I for high school credit or an Intermediate Spanish class that prepares them for Spanish I in the future.
- To enhance the development of listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills in English and in Spanish
- To develop higher order cognitive skills
- To support content area instruction at each grade level
- To promote global awareness and cross-cultural understanding
- To develop increased proficiency in all aspects of the language with each year of study
- To meet district, state, and national foreign language standards
Students participate in an original FLES curriculum that supports the division’s core content at each grade and is aligned with Virginia Standards of Learning and National Foreign Language Standards. Instruction is proficiency-oriented with teachers placing greater on meaningful communication than grammatical structure. Teachers and students use the target language as much as possible with the goal of students first understanding and then producing in the language. The curriculum has a spiral design, so that greater detail, rigor, and breadth are added to similar themes of study each subsequent school year.
The CCS FLES Spanish curriculum is based on four thematic units for each grade level. Every unit includes:
- Performance objectives
- Cultural information
- Thematic/linguistic focus (with essential vocabulary and suggested assessments)
Curriculum at a Glance
Parents may use these documents at home to help students reinforce the Spanish phrases they learn in class.
- Kindergarten Spanish Curriculum At a Glance
- Grade 1 Spanish Curriculum At a Glance
- Grade 2 Spanish Curriculum At a Glance
- Grade 3 Spanish Curriculum At a Glance
- Grade 4 Spanish Curriculum At a Glance
- Grade 5 Spanish Curriculum At a Glance Program Director: Beverly Catlin, Coordinator of Instruction