For Immediate Release
August 12, 2010
Community Relations Specialist
Charlottesville City Schools
Teachers receive Shannon Foundation Grants
The Edgar and Eleanor Shannon Foundation for Excellence in Public Education: Charlottesville/Albemarle announces its grant award recipients for the 2012-2013 school year. Fourteen excellent and innovative proposals from Charlottesville and Albemarle public school teachers have been selected for funding, totaling $16,755. Each winning grant reflects a commitment to creative and effective teaching that will benefit local public school children for years to come.
Charlottesville City Public Schools:
- Zoe A. Padron, Clark Elementary, $4,968, "iPads in the Classroom"
- Rachel McLaughlin, Charlottesville High, $750, "Living Photographs"
- Rebecca Bassett, Greenbrier Elementary, $450, "Lights! CRITTERS! Action!"
- Patricia Wilson, Greenbrier Elementary, $439, "Twinkle, Twinkle, Reading STARS"
- Carol Williams, Venable Elementary, $657, "Story Time for Me"
Albemarle County Public Schools:
- Rob Dent & Brandon Lee, Jouett Middle, $4,665, "Electricity Through Exercise"
- Nancy Kendall Williams, Baker-Butler Elementary, $279, "Life Cycle of a Quail"
- Jennifer Whitenack, Baker-Butler Elementary, $622, "Chamomile for Calm"
- Dawn Lane, Crozet Elementary, $700, "Where in the USA is...?"
- Susan Anhold, Crozet Elementary, $750, "Learn, Create, Share"
- Kristen Hunt & Shannon McLaughlin, Greer Elementary, $750, "Playing to Learn"
- Anne Straume, Meriwether Lewis Elementry, $725, "Step into My Parlor"
- Hollins Mills, Murray Elementary, $600, "Exploring Renewables: An Investigation of Energy"
- Tricia Spradlin, Yancey Elementary, $400, "Make Your Own Museum"
An awards ceremony recognized teachers on August 17 at the Charlottesville-Albemarle Technical Education Center.
* * *