Human Resources Department
Coordinator: Ms. Kerry Abbott
We offer a generous and comprehensive benefits package to our employees, including group health insurance by Coventry, dental and vision care plans, life insurance and membership in the Virginia Retirement System.
The Coventry CCS plans give CCS employees coverage for important health care services ranging from routine exams to emergency and urgent care. Our plan supports smart lifestyle choices that promote health and wellness.
- Benefits comparisons for all health plans
- Rates for Full-time Employees
- Rates for Part-time Employees
- CCS15 Benefit Summary
- CCS 20 Benefit Summary
- CCS 30 Benefit Summary
- Coventry Vision Plan Summary
- Coventry Pharmacy Program
- Coventry Mail Service Pharmacy Order Form
Delta Dental of Virginia
DeltaPremier USA is one of the largest networks in the country. It provides CCS employees with the freedom to choose any dentist. A variety of incentives and lower out-of-pocket cost options are offered when Delta Dental Participating dentists are selected.
EyeMed Vision Care
To locate a provider, visit the Eye Med Vision Care website or call 1-866-723-0569.
Under FLEXCOMP, our flexible benefits plan, eligible employees may choose to make pre-tax contributions to a Health Care Reimbursement Account or a Dependent Care Reimbursement Account that reimburses the employee for certain expenses incurred by the employee or an eligible dependent.
FLEXCOMP is designed to:
- Provide programs/benefits that meet the needs of employees now and in the future; and
- Ensure that all employees have an opportunity to be covered by a health care program that will guard against serious financial loss due to illness.
The concept behind FLEXCOMP is to provide FLEX credit to each employee to use as he or she sees fit. In order to be eligible for FLEXCOMP, an employee must have health insurance under a group health insurance plan provided by the school division or be covered under another group insurance plan not provided by the school division. Employees may use the employer-provided FLEXCOMP credit to purchase benefits from a list of programs that are sponsored by the division or they may receive FLEXCOMP credits in cash payments as taxable income.
Employees must have experienced a qualifying event in order to change your health insurance enrollment. Enrollment changes must be done online at www.vbas.com. Please review the instructions on how to change your enrollment prior to logging on to VBAS.
Health Care Reform Notices Required by Federal Law
The following notices are required to be presented to you at your open enrollment. These items pertain to changes associated with health care reform. Please take a moment to review these documents.
Waiver of Pre-Tax Premiums (Opt-out Credit)
All insurance premiums are deducted from your pay on a pre-tax basis. If you would like to opt out of this benefit, please complete the Proof of Insurance form and submit to Kerry Abbott or the payroll department.
- Credit for full-time employees $1,000 per year
- Credit for part-time employees is $500 per year
- If you and your spouse are both employed by Charlottesville City Schools and are not covering any dependents you are eliglble to receive an additional credit. Please contact Kerry Abbott at 817-1062 for more information.
Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
If you are eligible for health coverage from your employer, but are unable to afford the premiums, some States have premium assistance programs that can help pay for coverage. These States use funds from their Medicaid or CHIP programs to help people who are eligible for employer-sponsored health coverage, but need assistance in paying their health premiums. Click here for more information.
Sale of Personal Days
Employees have the option of selling personal days to offset the cost of health insurance premiums. Full-time employees can sell 1 or 2 days per year. Half-time employees can sell 1 or 1.5 days per year.
Current employees can sign up to sell personal days, or change an existing election, during Open Enrollment: log on to www.vbas.com and choose Monthly Allowance benefit. NOTE: This election will roll over from year to year unless you log in to VBAS and change it.
Flexible Spending Accounts
- Medical Reimbursement:
- You're allowed to allocate up to $2,500 per plan year to pay for qualified medical expenses. The plan year for FSA's runs from July 1 to June 30. Please see the FSA Handbook for details.
- Dependent Day Care Reimbursement:
- You're allowed to allocate up to $5,000, ($2,500 if filing separate tax return) per calendar year to pay for qualified child care expenses.
Voluntary (AFLAC) Benefits
Personal Accident Indemnity Plan
- Pays cash benefits for accident specific injuries that require physician visits, ER visits, or chiropractic visits.
- Wellness benefit for annual check ups
- Hospitalization follow ups, physical therapy benefits and much more are included.
Personal Cancer Plan
- Pays cash benefits for diagnosis for internal or skin cancers directly to the employee.
- Provides benefits for surgical, radiation, chemo therapy, and many more benefits.
- $75 wellness benefit
Short-term Disability Insurance
- Maternity benefits available (pre-existing condition rule applies)
- Income protection plan
- New Hires are offered guaranteed issue coverage
These plans automatically renew unless you contact Michelle Lawson at 760-2257 or email email@example.com to make a change, enroll, or cancel a plan.
CCS provides life insurance and Accidental Death and Dismemberment insurance for twice the amount of your annual salary, rounded to the next highest $1000 (maximum of $250,000). Additional coverage can be purchased. Available for active full-time employees.
Charlottesville City Schools offers an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) as a resource to help employees cope with problems at home or at work. All employees and their family members are eligible to use EAP services. Consultations are confidential, unless written permission is given or mandated by law. EAP services are provided at no cost to the employee.